6 Tips to Help with Good Posture in Your Office
50% (1) of Australians sit for 8 hours or more at work these days.
This means you could be guilty of sitting in the same position for a lot of your day. This can have a poor effect on your posture and spine.
You may have to sit in a car, train or bus for a couple of hours on the way to and from work. When you get home, you could typically add a few hours of sitting in front of the TV, computer or smart devices. This may mean you only have 1 hour a day to exercise, stand or walk. (2)
This is a reason that it would be good to improve your posture and build in some extra activity into your day. This will help your general health and especially your spine’s health.
You can help develop a habit of practicing good posture by trying these tips –
- An oldie but a goodie – Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Sit into the back of your chair at work. Don’t slouch or hunch over. Make sure your chair supports your back.
- Distribute your body weight evenly onto both hips and have your feet flat on the floor at your work desk.
- If you have a standing desk, swap between sitting and standing. If you don’t have one, ask if you can have one.
- Take small breaks every half and hour to keep your body moving eg walk to the bathroom or walk over to talk to someone in your office rather than emailing them.
- Enjoy this beautiful time of year and go for a walk at lunchtime.
How’s your office desk? Do you need to stretch to reach your mouse or ‘phone?
KEEP YOUR COMPUTER AT A HEIGHT SO THAT YOUR NECK IS IN A NEUTRAL POSITION AND BE AWARE OF YOUR SITTING POSTURE.
You can use these tips at home too. The Australian Chiropractors Association has a free app you can download called ‘Straighten Up’ available from the app store for your device.
Making these tips into habits in your everyday life will help improve your posture and take care of your spine. For more information to help you maintain a healthy spine in your workplace, you can talk to one of our Chiropractors at Clayfield Chiropractic by booking online or calling our friendly staff.